
10/22/2008
Dominic Stephen
8 pounds, 14 ounces
6:07 PM
It has been almost three weeks since we had Dominic. Life with a newborn is great, but leaves things like blogging last on the list. Right now, he is happily sleeping in the Baby Bjorn...attached to me. This gives me two hands to do almost whatever I want!!!
Tuesday, October 21st I had my last prenatal appointment. It was really an appointment to make the hospital happy before I was induced. (Three day rule) The outcome of that appointment was that I had progressed nicely and very much ready for labor. Since Sunday (the 19th of October) I was quite noticably more uncomfortable. I had some pretty painful cramping and I couldn't sit in a chair to eat dinner. he was just too low. Tuesday evening I noticed a few contractions. I started timing them at 5 to 7 minutes apart. They started around 8pm and lasted the entire night. I didn't get much sleep. At 3-something, I "woke" up and started getting ready to go to the hospital. I was tired and uncomfortable. We were supposed to be there at 6am, but I wasn't going to wait. I knew I wasn't in active labor, but laying in bed wide awake wasn't helping me either. We got to the hospital at 5:30.
We immediately went to Labor and Delivery and checked in. They took me to my L&D room (room 10) and I changed into my pink gown. SO much better than the blue ones. My first nurse (the night nurse) was the worst. She was rude. She started my IV and had me fill out paperwork so I could get my epidural (the company responsible for getting my paperwork to the hospital didn't, so I had to fill it out AGAIN). Seriously, the nurse told me when I asked to go potty that I should fill out the papers first b/c it would take longer if I went potty. I went potty anyway. At 7am THE BEST NURSE took over. She gave me some pain meds and made me a little loopy for a while. Around 10am, I got my epidural. Okay, so when they say "you'll feel a little pressure" I call BS, b/c that HURT! Pressure my foot. Once that was in, things were much better.
The epi made my legs feel like they weighed 600lbs each! One of them kept sliding off the bed. It was fairly amusing. I guess around noon, my Mom went to eat lunch and walk around the mall. Steve stretched out on the bench seat with my pillow and blanket from home and we both napped. I woke up starving. Too bad for me. I didn't get to eat until like 9:30 that night. It wasn't any fun being hungry ALL DAY. I did get ice chips! It was the good Sonic-type ice too. I probably ate 5lbs of ice. Things progressed slowly until about 4pm. Steve went to take a break and get something to eat. While he was gone, I was in the worst pain. My Mom was there reading the labor book to me and telling me that the "transition phase" was the shortest and it would be over soon. The nurse said she would give me an hour and check back. I watched that clock like a hawk. A little after 5 she came back in and determined it was time. I really didn't know that it was THAT time. She started getting the room ready and actually told me to push. I was thinking it was like some trial run just to see. Nope. She got on her walkie talkie and told the desk to call my Doc. Perfect timing! It was after office hours and the Doc didn't have to reschedule any of her other patients! I gave my first push at 5:25 and had Dominic at 6:07. It wasn't easy. But, I was determined to get him out as quickly as I could. Between the contractions I was demanding water from my Mom. Thanks, Mom! I was just sooo thirsty! All of that water did come back to haunt me right after the delivery. Blech. Anyway, between contractions my Mom would let go of one of my 600lb legs to do whatever. I remember having to remind her to pick up my leg. It wasn't like I could do it myself. It was pretty funny.
There was an issue. His cord was wrapped pretty tightly around his neck. Steve didn't get to cut the cord because the Doc wanted it off NOW. She did a great job and that cord was off in about 2 seconds. I think one more set of contractions and he was out.
When Dominic was born, the Doc threw him up (or so it seemed at the time) on my belly. That moment is a little fuzzy. I had just spent the last 40 or so minutes doing a lot of hard work. I do remember him sliding off my belly a little. I didn't want to touch him because he was all gooey. I don't remember if he came out crying or not though. I'm sure Steve or my Mom remembers, though. I do know that the baby nurse came running in to take him. The baby room was attached to my room, so I could see him the whole time. He did need a little attention and to be perked up. They spent a few minutes on him while Steve and my Mom watched. I do remember his cry was so cute and little. So, maybe he didn't come out crying. I remember asking how much he weighed. When they called his weight at 8lbs, 14 oz I about fell out of the bed! I still can't believe I had a baby THAT big! *UPDATE* I asked my Mom about the moment he was born...and if he was crying or not. Not. She said he was really lethargic.
Steve was the first to hold him, I think. Another fuzzy moment that needs clarification. The Doc told my Mom to hit my epi button twice...she did. I started getting the shakes. I think I held Dominic for a few seconds, but felt so awful I had to give him back. The nurse gave me more pain meds and that seemed to help. But, I think I had the shakes for a while. It felt like it. While I was re-living my gallons of water, Steve set of the alarm in the hall. HAHA. He got too close to an exit with the baby. Gotta love that safety band! (Ask Martha Stewart, I'm sure she knows too.)
Dominic got to hang out with us for about two hours! In that time, my StepDad, Dad, the Verniers and the Scapins were able to come see us. They took Dominic to the newborn nursery for his first bath and other goodies. In that time, we changed rooms and ate dinner. I did get in trouble for trying to stand on my own as my epi wore off. Oops.
We didn't sleep much that night. The nurses said that I was wide awake because of the adrenaline. That is for sure! I couldn't sleep! It was such a strange feeling. I couldn't believe I had just had a baby. Wow.

Happy Birthday, Dominic!
1 comment:
what a cool story - i hope all is well down there!
Post a Comment